Monday, July 1, 2013

Mac Mini as a Time Machine Storage Drive

Time Machine
No one knows better than me that deleting all of your wife's emails, twice no less, can be a very bad thing! Apple should rethink account deletion equating to email deletion. Since I am a very good husband that wants to stay married, I decided to have no less than three backups of my wife's computer. I opted to have two clone backups and one time machine backup. A mini resides in the house that has an external hard drive which takes care of the backup automatically. A clone backup is complete copy of your entire hard drive at one given point in time. I use CarbonCopyCloner for clone backups. SuperDuper! is also an option that I used up until OS X Lion.

Plug in an external hard drive to the remote mini. Initialize the drive if needed. Go to the Mac you want to backup and open time machine in System Preferences. Turn Time Machine on and select the hard drive listed on the mini. Your done. The lure of Time Machine is the ability to roll back versions of files themselves in a no hassle environment. A valuable feature and one that can save your bacon over a clone solution.

The down sides to Time Machine are the limitations, starting with virtual machines. Time Machine will not back up a virtual machine and thus you don't get a real "backup" of your system. Bummer. I have also had bad experiences with Time Machine when the hard drive reaches capacity. Instead of intelligently deleting files that are old, Time Machine breaks down and just stops backing up my system. These issues were more prevalent on Lion and I have not experienced this on Mountain Lion. Hopefully, Mavericks, will continue this streak of "just works."

No comments:

Post a Comment